Sidenote: Where to buy Japanese groceries in Helsinki

I am still waiting for the bento box lunches I want to use in my next proper blog post to be available again but figured I should drop at least something here before the end of February. If I can't get those bento boxes in March, I'll have to figure something else out. I apologise for the wait but I want to do this blog a certain way.

Anyway, one of the hurdles I thought I had as I was getting into Japanese cooking was that the ingredients would be either expensive or just not available. I mostly based this idea on the fact that many Finnish supermarkets do carry some vary basic ingredients for Japanese cuisine, such as sushi kits and the like, at extortionate prices. I eventually discovered I was quite wrong, of course. Here I'd like to talk about the stores in Helsinki which'll provide you with everything you need to cook all the meals I'll detail in this blog. Of course, there are more Asian stores in Helsinki and around Finland, but these are the ones I personally go to. Feel free to post about your favourite shops in the comments or tell me about the Asian markets where you're from if you're not from Helsinki.

Tokyokan

Annankatu 24, 00100 Helsinki

Tokyokan is the shop for most of your Japanese cooking needs in Helsinki. They don't have are fresh vegetables but you'll find all the necessary dry ingredients such as dashi powders, various seaweeds, rice, furikake, noodles and spices, as well as other important ingredients like mirin, tofu, various sauces, candy, snacks, drinks (tea but also things like soda and milk tea), miso paste, pickled vegetables and some other refrigerated items, as well as a small but good selection of frozen products like sushi toppings, edamame beans, gyoza, fish sausage (surimi, kamaboko etc.). Most if not all what they have are genuine Japanese products, and the prices aren't too expensive for everyday cooking. I always buy my basic ingredients such as soy sauce, dashi and seaweed here, with a few exceptions I'll explain later.

When it comes to soy sauce I think it's especially important to buy a Japanese product. Other Asian countries also have great soy sauces but soy sauce has a strong flavour and there are major differences in how they taste and even how viscous they are in different countries, so if you have the wrong kind of soy sauce, a significant part of the flavour and texture in your dish might be different than intended. If there's just one thing you pick up from this post, it should be this: buy Japanese soy sauce for Japanese dishes.

Tokyokan also has a wonderful selection of tableware such as plates, bowls, cups, chopsticks etc. for serving your creations. When I was browsing shops in Japan, I was pleased to find out that yes, Tokyokan imports the exact same stuff sold in Japan and not some cheap knockoffs. They also sell other kitchen utilities such as knives, serving trays and rice cookers, plus kimonos and sandals.

The service at Tokyokan is also excellent - always friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

Vii Voan

Hämeentie 3, 00530 Helsinki

Vii Voan is a long-running Vietnamese supermarket in Hakaniemi with a huge selection of foodstuffs from all over East and Southeast Asia. I mostly come here for the fresh vegetables because Vii Voan carries many veggies you'll be hard-pressed to find in your ordinary Finnish supermarket, like daikon radish and lotus root. I also tend to buy my Japanese-style silken firm tofu here because it's somewhat cheaper than the tofu found in Tokyokan. Additionally, Vii Voan sells various frozen items such as fruit and fish you won't see anywhere else as well as things like dumplings from all over East Asia - including Japanese-style gyoza.

Vii Voan also carries basic Japanese ingredients such as miso paste, soy sauce and seaweed, but these usually aren't Japanese products, and, while they're a bit cheaper, they aren't quite of as high quality as the stuff found in Tokyokan in my experience. However, I do buy my rice at Vii Voan or one of the other non-Tokyokan stores, because while their sushi rice is not Japanese (usually from Italy or Thailand), it's a fair bit cheaper, and the difference in taste and texture isn't really noticeable to me.

Thai Orchid Market

Itäkatu 7, 00930 Helsinki (Itis)

This is a somewhat newer store in Itis, tucked away in a slightly weird spot on one of the parking area levels. The selection, however, is fantastic, mostly similar to Vii Voan but smaller or larger in some areas. Notably, they have a surprisingly large selection of genuine Japanese instant noodles (mostly Nissin) as well as one of my favourite treats, mochi. Now, they're not Japanese (in fact I don't think I've seen Japanese mochi anywhere in Helsinki) but their Taiwanese mochi are still excellent and come in many different flavours. They also have affordable Kirin Royal Milk Tea which is the devil's invention and I probably shouldn't buy it (but I do... every time).

Probably where I shop the most, simply because its location and selection work great for me. 

Aseanic Trading Oy

Kolmas linja, 00530 Helsinki

Another Asian store in the Hakaniemi area. I rarely go to this one because it's slightly less conveniently located if I'm going through Hakaniemi for whatever reason. The times I've been there I've been impressed by their selection of Japanese ingredients - including the very affordable giant 1 kg bag of genuine Japanese miso paste which I bought months ago and am still using today. They also had a big shelf full of instant noodles as well as fresh vegetables. I really should go check this place out more thoroughly.

Khao Hom

https://www.facebook.com/Khao.Hom.kauppa/
Laakavuorenkuja 2 D, 00930 Helsinki

A tiny Thai shop in Mellunmäki with a surprisingly varied selection despite its size. I occasionally pop in to buy noodles, mochi, rice or vegetables as it’s right next to the Mellunmäki metro station and the closest East Asian store to me.

K-Market, S-Market etc.

Finally, yes, you can also find some Japanese products in regular ol’ Finnish stores. Even the smaller Alepas often have at least sushi ingredients like rice vinegar and nori sheets, and the bigger K-Markets might have an actual selection of things such as spices and miso paste - depending on the store. This has to do with K-Markets actually being more like franchise stores run by individual owners who have a lot of say in what they want their store to focus on. The new K-Market in REDI actually has a decently-stocked shelf just for Japanese products, mostly the same stuff you’d find at Tokyokan, so I’m guessing whoever runs that particular store is a fan of Japanese food. Anyway, you should only have to resort to these kinds of shops if you absolutely have to for whatever reason, for example it’s the holidays and the Asian shops are closed. The reason is that while the products are usually of decent quality, they tend to be MUCH more expensive than at one of the shops detailed above. For example, a 10-pack of high-quality nori sheets is around 3€ at Tokyokan, while 3€ will only get you five nori sheets at a K-Market.

However - these markets are of course a great place to get fresh fish, meat and vegetables/fruits. Depending on where you go, some of them might even have more exotic fish, veggies and fruits for sale.

Comments